Monday, August 23, 2010

Dream Mom Fail

When I dreamed about being a mom, I thought I’d be the kind of mom who was always prepared (you know, gum, Band-Aids and Kleenexes in the purse at all times), organized (schedule in pen because it is correct and up to date and no eraser is needed!) and full of energy and time to spend with my baby.

Here’s my reality: work is kicking my butt right now, and when I get home at the end of the day barely hanging onto the end of my rope, Charlie chews right through it and leaves me on the floor.

Tonight when I got home, Pamela reminded me that Charlie has his pre-pre-school graduation party tomorrow (we think, although I seem to have lost the flier about it. Pretty sure it’s at work where I took it so I would make sure to put it on my calendar…which I didn’t do, of course). Also, we’re supposed to contribute a snack to the going away party. The dream-mom-me would have made homemade blueberry muffins with farmers’ market blueberries for the party. You know what I am contributing?  A box of Entenmanns donuts and 16 kiddie boxes of apple juice, which just happened to be on sale at Safeway tonight. Oh well, the kids will probably like the donuts better than fruit muffins anyway, right?

On Sunday, Charlie had to go to time out at least 15 times throughout the day. Today, Pamela told me he threw toys at her. Tonight, he would only eat about 3 bites of his dinner.  When did this little monster take over my sweet boy?  Ugg. I hope preschool doesn’t kick him out.

In better news, Charlie definitely looked right at his dad when I was taking him to the store with me and said, “Bye bye da da.” We both looked at each other like we wanted to make sure the other heard him. Every once in a while, he comes out with a new word or phrase that is clear as day. It gives us hope that all the reading and repetition is helping!

No comments: