…while I was dancing around the kitchen with the cutest little boy on the planet in my arms. I am the luckiest mama there is. Most parents have a baby who is born and then turns one as fast as they can imagine, and then two, and then three, and suddenly they are all big and want to put their own pants on and walk everywhere instead of being carried and sleep in a big boy bed.
MY kid, on the other hand, is still happily acting like a “young two” according to the latest developmental evaluation. I could let this worry me and obsess about helping him “catch up” – but today, as I was spinning and twirling him and he was cracking up and hanging onto my neck with his chubby little arms, I decided that I am going to celebrate this. Don’t parents always complain that their kids grow up too fast? Not mine! He’s growing up at a slightly slower than normal but totally, adorably, his own pace.
I’m soaking in every new word, phrase, and sentence (yes, suddenly we’re getting sentences!) right now, every hill he climbs (literally – he was marching up and down the playground hill this weekend), every challenge he conquers. I keep finding myself realizing that he’s doing things I was worried he wouldn’t – and I didn’t even notice when he started doing whatever that thing was.
It’s just all coming. He’s going to get there. And in the meantime, as far as I’m concerned, he can stretch each year of his life into a little more like 18 months. If it means he takes a bit longer growing up, then lucky me – I get more of his childhood to enjoy!
2 comments:
I love you, Marie!!!
Thanks Allison, love you too!
Post a Comment