We had a catastrophe at our house yesterday. George, Charlie and I were upstairs playing, and I decided to go down to the basement quickly to grab a Coke Zero. Since I was only going to be gone a minute, and since Charlie's gotten really good at walking the stairs, I didn't close the baby gate. And now you know what's coming.
Once I got down there, I realized I wanted to throw a load of wash in. Charlie was yelling "Hi" down to me from the top of the stairs, and I was yelling "Hi" back, thinking nothing of it. Well, I guess while he was yelling hi, he was also leaning forward, because minutes later, I heard, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, BOOM. And then screams. Such an awful sound. I came flying up the stairs and George came flying down, and we met on the tile landing, where our little guy already had a goose egg rising between his eyes and a bloody nose. He’d fallen down all seven wooden steps and landed on the tile floor.
I'm lucky to have a husband who is level-headed and calm, because I freaked out. George rushed him into the bathroom and started to check him out, and try to get his nose to stop bleeding. Charlie finally calmed down. We called the nurse-on-call, who then had the doctor call us back, and after about 100 questions, she decided no emergency room visit was necessary.
And she was right, he was fine. He took a nap not too long after the fall, and I woke him hourly to make sure he was conscious, but he still managed to get about 3 hours of rest in. And once he got up, he was like himself, other than the third eye that had grown in on his forehead,raised and black and blue. Boo.
I know I have many more of these kinds of scares to come, being the mother of a son. Somehow, I’m going to have to figure out how to be calmer and better able to deal with these things. But hopefully it’ll be a while before the next one!
Today, George has to work but I have the day off. Unfortunately, it’s too cold to be outside, and we were getting a little tired of being in the play room all the time, so Charlie and I headed to Tysons Corner for a little window shopping and lunch. Charlie’s behaving a lot better in restaurants now than he was a few months ago, and it was fun for me to be able to take him out. Plus, he got to ride the glass elevator a few times and run down the long hallways at the mall, pretty exciting stuff. He likes to watch all the people, listen to all the noise, and recite the numbers he sees on the sale signs. And having him there keeps me from shopping, which is a plus too. I did buy Charlie a new shirt and pair of shorts that were on sale (I couldn’t resist), but I didn’t come home with anything new for myself.
Charlie seems to have pulled out of the “no” phase. He still says no plenty, but he no longer answers questions that way. Now he says, “Yeah” a lot too, with his voice full of enthusiasm, so cute! He is still a big fan of music, and has started dancing finally too. He’s undergoing pretty constant change, and it is a treat to observe.
Here he is at his desk, playing with the computer Santa brought him for Christmas. Such a big boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment