Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Proud Mama

I know amazing is kind of a heavy word, and I probably seriously overuse it here, but I don't really know how else to describe the changes we're seeing in Charlie. He's still the same silly, funny, wild boy - but he's so smart, and so interested in learning!  I got him a little kids learning laptop for Christmas to try to keep him from wanting to pound on mine. Tonight, he was playing with it while I was finishing dinner, and all of a sudden I noticed that instead of just punching random buttons, he was actually playing the game! It would show him a lower-case letter on the screen, and ask him to find the same letter on the keyboard. The "tricky" part is that the letters on the keyboard are capital letters, so he couldn't just rely on matching the shape. He had to listen to the spoken letter and then push the corresponding key. And he was getting them right. All of them. Wow.

On Sunday, I woke up to the sound of him talking in his crib. I realized once I started listening that he was practicing his numbers and his alphabet. All by himself, he did one through 10 in order, without missing any. And then he dove into the alphabet. He started at G instead of A... but quickly worked through the rest without any slip-ups. This is my little boy who barely used words a couple months ago. It is the coolest.

Pardon the horrible filming skills - Charlie and I were sitting at the breakfast counter eating dinner (George is on State of the Union duty tonight) so the camera is a little too close and way too unsteady. But I just have to show off his new skills!

No comments: