Saturday, December 19, 2009

Winter Wonderland!

It's snowing, boy is it snowing. It started last night a little before 9, and is still going strong. I've been feeling a little scrooge-esque this year because we were sick last weekend and didn't get a tree, and I STILL have Christmas shopping left to do, and haven't finished mailing Christmas cards... but the snow has cured me! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! I should feel disappointed that I'm missing out on a much-needed shopping day, but instead I'm just happy to have a reason to stay home with my family.

What a week! I worked from home on Monday to avoid spreading strep around the office, but Pamela was here with Charlie and took him out all afternoon, so it was quiet and I could get lots done. Yesterday, however, I was almost to work when George called and said he'd just talked to Pamela and she was on crutches! Poor Pamela tripped on the curb when leaving our house Thurs night and has a bad sprain. When I talked to her yesterday afternoon, she was feeling a little better, but still stuck in bed with her foot elevated. So I had ANOTHER day of working from home - after a quick meeting with my boss, I headed back home to spend the afternoon working and wrestling with Charlie. For a girl that didn't take a sick day in something like the first 5 years I worked at FINRA, life with a kid is an adjustment! At least I have an understanding boss. And Pamela hopes to be back on Monday - but I guess if the weather continues, we may not need her. We'll see. I just hope she feels better - we love our Miss Pamela!

Speaking of Pamela, she gave us the best Christmas present this week! Because of Charlie's unfortunate hurling incident last weekend, we did not get to go see Santa. But we have Santa photos!! Sweet Pamela dressed Charlie up on Tuesday and took him to Springfield Mall, and got us each a 5x7 of our boy on Santa's lap! Charlie has a huge grin on his face, which is amazing considering his usual reception of total strangers, and the Santa is one of the best I've ever seen - perfectly happy and jolly and sporting a real white beard. Such a thoughtful gift!

We had 2 therapy appointments this week, speech on Wednesday and PT on Thursday. Speech went okay; Charlie wasn't unhappy, but he wasn't into sitting still and focusing, either. At the next visit, I think the therapist is going to bring a little desk to try to keep him in place while he works. Good luck!
PT was more successful, apparently. I wasn't home for it, but Pamela said Charlie hardly cried at all, and that the therapist remarked it was the happiest she'd ever seen him! I'm hoping this is a breakthrough, and we won't have anymore sessions filled with blood-curdling screams.
Charlie is getting much better at standing on his own and taking steps. He's so ready to walk on his own! He still hasn't done more than 10 or so steps independently, but it really can't be long. The therapist said weeks ago that she thought he'd be walking by Christmas, so I'm hoping he'll accept her challenge!
Charlie has definitely started to show signs of an attitude. He gets mad when we tell him no, and hits anything he can get his hands on, including himself and his parents. The speech therapist said we could look on the bright side that he's showing he understands "no", but I'm hoping we can eliminate this behavior quickly. Just have to figure out how to get through to him...

We took Charlie out in the snow this morning. Our nice neighbor Conley (who was outside in SHORTS, crazy man!) brought over a sled he had in his shed so we could pull Charlie around on it. He slid off the side shortly thereafter and cried, so we didn't last very long, but we'll try again later. It's too pretty not to be outside enjoying it in little doses.
Here are some photos from earlier in the week and today in the snow:
Charlie LOVES black beans, and I love watching him eat them, because they make such a mess! He looks like he's been eating mud when he's through.
The speech therapist suggested we let him start munching on some hard foods:
"Handsome"
Ready to get into it:
Snow baby!
Mmmmm

Is this fun? I'm not sure.

No, it is NOT! Get me OFF!
Charlie liked the snow much better from the safety of the covered porch.



The driveway, minutes after we shoveled, already with a light coating of snow again!

Charlie's adorable itsy bitsy duck boots:

2 comments:

Liz said...

Charlie is just like me! I much prefer snow when I can be cozy inside with a cup of hot chocolate, a blanket and a good book! But to be out on a sled or anything else makes me want to cry too! - Elizabeth.

Our Family said...

Snow seems much for fun when you're out there with a little one who's enjoying it - or at least curious.

Jacob also hits or throws things when we tell him no. To combat that we've tried working on how we say no. Instead of an outright - no - we're saying thigns like "cords aren't good toys so let's play with your ball" or "kitties prefer soft and gentle touches - let's try again." It's amazing how much better it works.

It does mean that we have to think before we just blurt out "NO" and that we save that word for truly scary things like when he's running over to the open hot stove door (we each thought the other was watching him - thank God he froze when he heard "NO!!!!!").

Good luck!